IMPORTANCE OF MISWAAK IN ISLAM
"Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (R) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi
Wasallam) said: 'Was it not for my fear of imposing a difficulty on my Ummah
I would have ordered that the Miswaak be used for every Salaat, and delay in
Eshaa prayer '." (BUKHARI)
"Ibn Umar (R) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi
Wasallam) said: 'Make a regular practice of the Miswaak, for verily, it is
healthy for the mouth and it is a Pleasure for the Creator (i.e. Allah is
pleased with the Muslim who uses the Miswaak)'." (BUKHARI)
Hadhrat Ayesha (R) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)
The reward of Salaah (Prayers) is multiplied 70 times if Miswaak was used
MISWAAK BEFORE AND AFTER MEALS
"Abu Hurairah (R) said:"I have used the Miswaak before sleeping, after
rising, before eating and after eating, ever since I heard the Nabi
(Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) advising so'." (MASNAD AHMAD)
MISWAAK DURING FASTING
"Aamir Bin Rabiyah (R) narrates:'I have seen Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi
Wasallam) using the Miswaak many a time while fasting'."(IBN MAJAH)
TYPES OF MISWAAKS
It is permissible to take for a Miswaak of all types of tree twigs, which
are not harmful or poisonous. The following are the types of Miswaak are
(1) Peelo tree
(2) Olive (zaitoon) tree
(4) Any bitter tree
(5) Walnut tree
AADAAB (Etiquette) OF THE MISWAAK
(1) The Miswaak should be a straight twig (small branch) and clean
(2) The Miswaak should not be too hard/roughness nor too soft.
(3) The new Miswaak should be approximately 8 inches (a hand-span) in
(4) The Miswaak should be the thickness of the forefinger.
(5) Before and after using the Miswaak, it should be washed.
(6) The Miswaak should not be sucked.
(7) The Miswaak should be placed vertically when not in use.
(8) If the Miswaak is dry it should be moistened with water prior to use.
This is Mustahab. It is preferable to moisten it with Rose water.
(9) The Miswaak should not be used at both ends.
(10) The Miswaak should not be taken from an unknown tree, as it may be
ADVANTAGES AND BENEFITS OF THE MISWAAK
(1) Eliminates bad odors and improves the sense of taste.
(2) Sharpens the Intelligence.
"Four things increase the Intelligence as in TIBBE NABAWI
(i) Shunning of nonsensical talks
(ii) Use of the Miswaak
(iii) Sitting in the company of the pious, and
(iv) Sitting in the company of the Ulama."
(3) Eliminates Slime (slippery substance).
(4) Cure for Illness.
(5) Miswaak creates fragrance in the mouth.
(6) Miswaak prevents further increase of decay
(7) Miswaak is a cure for headaches, also assists in eliminating toothaches.
(9) Miswaak creates luster (Noor) on the face of the one who continually
(10) Miswaak removes the yellowish ness of the teeth.
(11) Miswaak assists in the process of Digestion.
(12) Miswaak is a cure for a certain mouth disease known as Qilaa'- This is
stated in Hujjatul Baaleghah.
(13) And, the greatest benefit of using the Miswaak is the attainment of
Allah Ta'ala's Pleasure.
And, indeed the MISWAAK IS A GREAT SUNNAH.
The greatest benefit of using Miswaak is gaining the pleasure of
Home - Quran & Hadith Charity - Family & Health Islam Miscellaneous Matrimonials
Human Rights - Women Newscenter Boycott Chechnya Palestine - Links