EFFICIENCY OF VESSEL EQUIPMENT
(1) Before entering the Canal, it must
ascertained that main engines, compasses, steering gear, engine room, telegraph, rudder
angle and R.P.M. indicators, W/T, V.H.F. and radar are in good working order.
(2) Every vessel navigating in the Suez Canal Waters under the advice of Suez Canal pilot,
should maintain a bridge and engine bell books.
(3) In the bridge bell book, each engine movement and the time of its transmission from
the bridge to the engine room is recorded as well as in the engine room bell book.
(4) No vessel is required to maintain any bell book if equipped with an automatic device
which produces a permanent legible record of every engine movement.
(5) The bell books and the automatic records must be handed, upon request, to Suez Canal
Officials for the purpose of investigation if necessary.