DOCUMENTS AND REQUIREMENTS
A - Documents to be produced are:
(1) Suez Canal Special Tonnage Certificate and Calculation Sheets (3 copies in the first
(2) Certificate of Registry & ship's drawing.
(3) Statistical Declaration.
(4) Extract from the vessel's official documents and information concerning the vessel's
type and her cargo (Containers, barges, etc....).
(5) Declaration concerning the use of double bottom tanks and the lower parts of the high
(6) Declaration concerning vessels in ballast.
(7) Declaration of State of Navigability.
(8) The last Classification Certificate issued.
(9) Any other information necessary for transiting the Canal.
(10) Piping plan and general arrangement plan for Liquefied
Petroleum Gas and Liquefied Natural Gas vessels.
(11) (International Oil Pollution Prevention
Certificate) International Oil Pollution Prevention
Certificate of Compliance and its supplement for the record of construction and equipment
as amended for tanker vessels.
B - Vessels wishing to transit the Canal must declare at the Canal Authority Offices and
pay the various dues. She must furnish the Canal Authority Officials with all the
particulars requested by her agent's.
C - The vessel must in addition comply with the requirements of the Arab Republic of Egypt Government
D - In Case the Canal Authority deems it necessary to be supplied with a new Seaworthiness
Certificate issued by a recognized classification society belonging to International
Atomic Energy Agency Seaworthiness Certificates to be accepted by Suez Canal Authority, if in native
language, are to be translated into Arabic or English and duly certified by the Embassy or
Consulate in the Arab Republic of Egypt.
E - Navy ships transiting the Suez Canal Waters must be provided with a Suez Canal Special Tonnage
Certificate showing the Suez Canal Gross and Net Tonnage If such document is not on board, the commanding Officer has to
give, in writing, the following information:
(1) Name of Ship.
(2) Name of Commanding Officer.
(3) Call sign of the ship (Radio Call).
(4) Length Overall, Beam Overall and depth of the ship.
(As long as the ship is not provided with the Suez
Canal Special Tonnage Certificate, transit dues will
be levied on the temporary Gross Tonnage product of the empirical formula without any
the presentation of the documents required).
F - Erroneous Declarations:
If the Canal Authority Officials find out a wrong information concerning the cargo carried
or the ship's situation ballast or loaded, resulting from the shipping clerk's or the
Master's negligence, and all documents
held, the tolls difference will be doubled. The tolls difference means the difference
between the correct and the wrong amount of transit dues.