SCA Circ 8/1996
The Suez Canal Authority has decided to modify Art. 58 Rules of Navigation as stated
Escorting the ships transiting the Suez Canal is effectuated according to the Suez Canal
net tonnage and not the summer dead weight.
The Article will read as follows:
Art 58 - Escorting:
The escort of VLCCs , ULCCs, LNGS, LPGs, large Bulk Carriers and
other vessels (1) will be as follows:
- Loaded vessels less than 70,000 Suez
Canal net tonnage will be escorted by one tug if for technical reasons SCA find it
necessary or when the vessels draught is more than 47 feet.
- Loaded vessels from 70,000 Suez Canal
net tonnage to 90,000 tons will be escorted by one tug.
- Loaded vessels over 90,000 Suez Canal
net tonnage will be escorted by two tugs.
- Vessels in ballast over 130,000 Suez
Canal net tonnage will be escorted by one tug.
- LPG and LNG over 25,000 Suez Canal
net tonnage (except GF) (1) will be escorted by one tug (2).
- Vessels in ballast with beam over 218
ft up to 233 ft will be escorting by one tug.
- Vessels in ballast with beam over 233
ft will be escorted by two tugs.
- Towed scrapped vessels in ballast
80,000 Suez Canal net tonnage and over will be escorted by one tug.
The Suez Canal net tonnage is assessed regardless of sizes that are temporarily added
in each transit (such as double bottom tanks or containers on deck etc.)
This circular takes effect as of 1/1/1997.