TIDES AND CURRENTS IN SUEZ CANAL
The Suez Canal is divided into three main sectors according to the nature of tide in each
the Characteristics of each can be summarized as follows:
A - THE NORTHERN SECTOR
The Suez Canal is divided into three main sectors
according the nature of tide in each.
A - The northern sector is located between Port Said and the Great Bitter Lake:
(1) The height of tide at Port Said co-oscillated with the tide of the Mediterranean Sea with 0.50 meter extreme tidal range (Difference between highest and lowest levels) at Spring tides. This tidal range decreases gradually going South, to be about 0.20 meter at the entrance of Lake Timsah.
(2) In this sector, the peak tidal current may reach 1.0 knot (in case of no wind).
(3) Current may be doubled by strong prevailing winds.
(4) Peak currents occur about 50 minutes after predicted High Water and Low Water at Port Said.
(5) The duration and velocity of current in this sector are greatly affected by the relative mean sea levels between the Mediterranean Sea, the Bitter Lakes and the Red Sea as follows:
(a) IN SUMMER: between July and October, the mean sea level at Port Said is slightly higher than that of the Bitter Lakes. This difference (which reaches its maximum of about 0.20 meter in September), beside the great evaporation at the Bitter Lakes, causes the predominance of the Southward current in duration and velocity.
(b) IN WINTER: between December and May, the Mean sea level at the Bitter Lakes is slightly higher than that of Port Said. This difference which reaches its Maximum of about 0.30 meter in January, causes the predominance of the Northward current in duration and velocity.
B - THE LAKES (TIMSAH AND BITTER LAKES)(1) The Lakes along the Canal have an important role in dampening the effects of sudden meteorological changes.
C - THE SOUTHERN REGIONThis part is located between Port of Suez and Bitter Lakes:
D - CURRENT BUOYS
In the canal, there are current buoys indicating the direction of the current:
Red & White horizontal bands or 1 reflector at night.
Black & White vertical stripes or 2 reflectors at night
POSITIONS OF CURRENT BUOYS
The current buoys are laid in the following positions:
- EL RASWA [KM. 3.710 E].
- PORT FOUAD [KM. 2.750 E].
- RAS EL ECH EAST [KM. 12.800 E].
- RAS EL ECH WEST [KM. 14.304 E].
- TINEH [KM. 24.775 E].
- CAP [KM. 35.420 E].
- KANTARA [KM. 45.130 E].
- BALLAH EAST & WEST [KM. 54.770 E].
- FERDAN [KM. 64.894 E].
- ISMAILIA [KM. 76.127 E].
- TOUSSOUM [KM. 86.780 E].
- DEVERSOIR EAST & WEST [KM. 97.845 E].
- KABRIT EAST & WEST [KM. 120.827 E].
- GENEVA [KM. 133.950 E].
- CHALOUFA [KM. 146.125 E].
- PORT TEWFIK [KM. 160.300 E].